Reporting to the Vice President for Finance and CFO, this position is responsible for managing and directing general accounting reporting and operations, cash management controls, internal controls, debt covenants, grants management, and general ledger systems. The Controller has the overall responsibility for the integrity of the College's financial records.
The Controller will maintain accounting records, oversee financial and management reporting and monitor budget performance, develop and administer internal financial policies and procedures, evaluate and institute appropriate internal controls, ensure compliance with applicable Federal and state laws, and provide support on other related fiscal and accounting matters.
The position prepares financial reporting packages for CFO presentation to the Finance & Facilities Committee, the Audit Committee, and the Investment Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Oversees and directs the general accounting, financial reporting and analysis, grants management and internal control procedures for the institution;
- Coordinates the preparation of the year-end financial statements and related schedules, footnotes, and tax return schedules; Responsible for compliance with tax laws and regulations;
- Monitors departmental and divisional budget performance throughout the year; prepares financial models for new program development;
- Prepares monthly accounting close processes and prepares timely monthly and quarterly financial statements;
- Prepares monthly and annual cash flow projections;
- Maintains fixed asset records;
- Responsible for the accurate and timely development and dissemination of financial information in support of effective decision making. Prepares all necessary financial reports and analyses necessary to keep the Vice President of Finance & CFO currently informed;
- Responsible for maximizing the utility of the Colleges Financial Systems (Banner Financial Software) to support effective use of financial information through the development, upgrade and maintenance of robust system functionality and reporting features to meet complex and changing information requirements;
- Serves the campus community by providing financial guidance, offering information and training on financial systems and processes. Seeks to learn how the Controller's office can better meet divisional needs for information and assistance;
- Establishes and maintains financial controls to monitor and protect College resources;
- Coordinates with the Development Office to ensure the proper accounting for pledges, gifts, endowments, and scholarships;
- Ensures that appropriate account reconciliations are performed, documented and reviewed on a timely basis;
- Responsible for oversight of fulfillment of financial obligations to college employees and vendors with a strong internal control environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education / Experience
Bachelor's degree is required, with a preferred emphasis in accounting, master's degree and a CPA is highly desirable.
5-10 years progressively responsible financial management experience is required, preferred within a private higher education institution or not-for-profit entity. In-depth knowledge of GAAP, FASB and other financial principles. Experience with the Banner system or integrated database system is desirable.
Competencies / Skills
Strong excel and analytical skills. Demonstrated effective leadership and supervisory experience. Collaborative work style but able to enforce College policies when necessary. Proactive communicator. Demonstrates follow through and attention to detail.
The job profile document is intended to be generic in nature. It is not intended to specify all duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Additional job functions and the need to work a flexible work schedule may vary based on specific requirements of the department and the College.