|Title:||Assistant Professor, Exercise Science|
LaGrange College announces an opening in the Department of Exercise Science. This is a full-time, tenure-track position (rank open) with a start date of 1 August 2017, and will involve the teaching of a wide range of courses leading to the B.S. degree in Exercise Science. Candidates should have the skill set to teach a combination of the following courses related to the undergraduate program: exercise physiology, exercise testing and prescription, applied anatomy, biomechanics, motor behavior, and/or sport and exercise psychology. The LaGrange College program in Exercise Science, in its fifth year, is the fastest growing major on campus. The degree program in Exercise Science offers two concentrations, one in allied health and one in sport and human performance, and has a strong infrastructure and dedicated institutional support. The undergraduate program is a NSCA ERP for strength and conditioning as well as a recognized member department of the American Kinesiology Association. The department also offers a graduate degree in Strength and Conditioning, both in-class and fully online. Candidates must hold a doctoral degree in Kinesiology, Exercise Science, or a related discipline by the start date, though highly qualified ABD candidates will be considered. Candidates should also have excellent oral and written communication skills, and be able to interact effectively with a diverse group of students, staff, faculty, alumni, donors, industry partners, and community.
General Statement of Duties: Full-time, tenure-track position (rank open), to teach a range of courses leading to the B.S. degree in Exercise Science with concentrations in allied health and sport and human performance. Potential courses to teach may include but are not limited to: exercise physiology, exercise testing and prescription, applied anatomy, biomechanics, motor behavior, and/or sport and exercise psychology. Qualified candidates may also teach courses in the graduate program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. To teach a total of 24 hours per fiscal year primarily in the major.2. To supervise internships.
3. To provide student assistance including academic advising.
4. To attend college functions, including commencement; convocation; and faculty, committee and departmental meetings.
5. To participate in scheduled orientation and registration programs.
6. To continue scholarship and professional activities.
7. To help recruit students.
1. Earned doctorate in Kinesiology, Exercise Science, or related discipline (ABD considered).
2. Ability to integrate appropriate technology and software in teaching.
3. Demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching, demonstrated teaching experience appropriate to the level of appointment, and evidence of scholarly/creative activity.
4. Ability to work effectively with a diverse student body.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of higher education environment and of current student development theory and research.
2. Ability to assist in the continued development of a new program.
3. Excellent oral and written communication skills
4. Strong organizational and people leadership skills and the ability to effectively interact with a diverse group of students, staff, faculty, alumni, donors, industry partners, and community.
Located one hour south of Atlanta, LaGrange is a four-year liberal arts and sciences college offering 54 academic pre-professional and professional programs. Home to more than 1,000 students and affiliated with the United Methodist Church, the college is typically ranked among Southern comprehensive colleges by U.S. News and World Report. The city of LaGrange has a population of 30,000+ and is an inviting community with a sense of traditional Southern charm and old-fashioned hospitality, LaGrange is home to Fortune 500 companies, historic landmarks, unique shops, and restaurants for every taste. Area attractions, for children and adults, range from fine arts, including an art center, symphony, and performing arts to great outdoor life, including Callaway Gardens, West Point Lake, Pine Mountain, and FDR State Park. LaGrange also provides its residents an excellent recreational program. For more information about the city of LaGrange and the surrounding area, please check with the LaGrange-Troup County Chamber of Commerce.